Who we are:
Midcoast Literacy, formerly Tri-County Literacy, is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and adults by providing early literacy programs for families with children attending local Head Start and Early Head Start centers, offering one-on-one tutoring for adults and children, engaging elderly residents in literacy activities, and ensuring all those we serve have easy access to books. We are located in Bath, Maine and serve the towns of Freeport, Brunswick, and Harpswell, and all of Sagadahoc and Lincoln Counties.
Midcoast Literacy has a small office staff of three people and two part-time employees who serve as the Read With Me Site Instructors. Approximately 80-100 generous volunteers help us meet the needs of the children and adults who seek one-on-one tutoring and other literacy support services from our organization. We are supported by grants from United Way, grants from private foundations, contributions from partner agencies, and donations from individuals and local businesses.
The part-time Read With Me Site Instructor is responsible for the implementation of the Read With Me family literacy program sessions, as developed in coordination with the Program Director. The sessions are conducted monthly in each preschool/Pre-K classroom at each of the participating Head Start centers. The 45 minute sessions occur at the end of the school day and are scheduled during the first two weeks of each month (September-May.) All parents are encouraged and invited to join their children for the inclusive story time and the collaborative activity led by the Read With Me Site Instructor. At the end of each session, all the children are given a copy of the session’s featured book and a hand-out of additional suggested activities to do at home with family members. Additional shorter and less formal sessions are also conducted in the Early Head Start classrooms that serve children ages 0-3. The position is for approximately 15 to 25 hours per month. One position is for Brunswick, Bath, and Topsham. The other is for Waldoboro, Whitefield, Somerville, and Newcastle. The pay is $17.31 per hour with mileage reimbursement for travel.
Specific duties include:
- Preparing for each session by reviewing the featured book and handouts provided by the Program Director, and developing the activity to compliment the session’s featured book
- Ensuring each site has the equipment and materials necessary for the RWM activity, either available in the classroom or provided by Midcoast Literacy
- Leading Read With Me sessions, including reading aloud and facilitating the collaborative activity that follows story time
- Imparting information about early literacy development and good literacy building habits as part of every session
- Transporting and distributing free books
- Maintaining attendance records for all sessions
- Recording and updating participant contact information
- Making reminder calls/texts to participating families prior to each session
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field preferred and three years of related experience
- Knowledge of literacy development and early childhood development
- Knowledge of children’s literature for children ages 0-8
- Familiarity with activities, crafts, and projects appropriate for children ages 1 to 5
- Ability to lead groups of young children and adults and engage them in group discussions and activities
- Ability to work independently and manage logistical arrangements
- Ability to use a computer, cell phone, and copier
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to lift and transport materials weighing up to 25 pounds